Created by the Community Adventure Program
New Vista High School
- Air pollution from vehicles is lowering our air quality and contributing to global warming. According to the American Lung Association of Colorado, “air pollution contributes to lung disease, including respiratory tract infections, asthma, and lung cancer.”
The Sustainable Solution:
- Biodiesel and Ethanol are alternative fuels, which lower emissions, reduces air pollution, and are both renewable and sustainable.
What is Biodiesel?
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel made mostly from the by-product of vegetables and some types of switch grass. In essence, Biodiesel is just vegetable oil. Contrary to popular belief, Biodiesel runs on a regular diesel engine and no modifications are required.
What is Ethanol?
- Ethanol is an alternative fuel made by fermenting and distilling grains such as corn, wheat, and barley. Ethanol is currently blended in regular gasoline to make E-10 (10% Ethanol, 90% Gasoline) and some cars can run on E-85 (85% Ethanol, 15% Gasoline) for a cleaner burning fuel.
Advantages of Biodiesel:
- Clean burning
- Reduction in air pollution
- Any diesel equipped vehicle can use it
- It’s a renewable energy source
- Decrease our dependence on foreign oil
Advantages of Ethanol:
- Readily available source
- Comes from corn, which is then converted in to an alcohol.
- Ethanol is used in gasoline in small quantities, however to use E85, or 85% ethanol, you need to slightly modify your engine.
- Clean burning
- Cheaper than gasoline
How Can Alternative Fuels Such As Biodiesel and Ethanol “Save America?”
- By turning to more sustainable and renewable fuel, we can turn our attention away from drilling in our own country and destroying our natural environment.
- By using products farmed and produced in our own country we are not only helping boost our economy, we are reducing our dependency on foreign oil.
- We are saving the American people from the horrendous affects of air pollution.
This Flyer Was Created By Consulting The Following Resources:
- Alternative Fuels Data Center
- American Lung Association of Colorado