The Throwdown is an annual event for fun people who want to enjoy an afternoon in the park playing some Cornhole, a classic lawn game, with friends, while supporting a great local educational non-profit. Whether you’re an expert or you’ve never heard of the game before, it is a great time for all – NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED to participate!
A more appropriate question should be why not? The Throwdown raises money for the Cottonwood Institute to help support our programs to connect diverse students to the outdoors and empower them to take action to improve their schools, their communities, and the environment. It’s a noble cause.
WHEN IS IT?
WHERE IS IT?
Congress Park in Denver, CO. We will be located on the athletic fields on the south side of Congress Park closer to 8th Avenue. The official Cottonwood Institute banner will mark the spot. To download a park map, Click Here.
HOW MUCH IS IT AND WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
- A guarantee of 3 games of cornhole with a 4 team round robin format. The winner of each round robin will advance to the winners bracket.
- The winning team will receive an official Throwdown trophy thanks to AOR, because all winners need a trophy for bragging rights.
- Food from Stoney’s Bar and Grill and cold beverages from Wynkoop Brewing Company and Oskar Blues.
- Each team member will receive a Throwdown Koozie to keep your beverages cold thanks to AOR, Inc.!
- Really super cool prizes (see below).
- Remember, this is for charity and 100% of the proceeds will benefit the Cottonwood Institute, so do it for the kids people!
- A chance to bid on this Cornhole set sustainably made from Colorado pine beetle kill wood:
HOW DO I REGISTER?
Registration will be open soon, so stay tuned. In the meantime, keep working on your form and if you have any questions, please contact Katie Craig, Cottonwood Institute Adventure Coordinator, at 978.337.3545 or via Email.
PAST SPONSORS AND SUPPORTERS:
We would love to give a shout out to our generous sponsors that help make this event possible, so check out and support the following folks: AOR, Inc., EMI Sportswear, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Excell Fund Brokerage, Fox Theatre, Hero Kit, Mountainsmith, OtterBox, REI, Scorzie, Stoney’s Bar and Grill, and Wynkoop Brewing Company.
A GREAT NETWORKING EVENT?
Does a 1-legged duck swim in a circle? Believe it or not, the Throwdown is a great networking event and so far we have people from the following companies participating:
- AOR, Inc.
- Avnet Technology Solutions
- Barghelame Wealth Advisors
- Brown Brothers Harriman
- Children’s Hospital Colorado
- EMI Sportswear
- Enterprise Holdings
- IMA of Colorado, Inc.
- Insigniam Performance
- IP Commerce
- Kelly, Stacy, & Rita, LLC
- Oskar Blues
- Seigneur Gustafson, LLP
- Stacy Howard Designs
- Stoney’s Bar and Grill
- University of Colorado Hospital
- West Denver Preparatory Charter School
- Wynkoop Brewing Company
Prizes for this year’s Throwdown will be announced shortly.
CAN’T ATTEND BUT STILL WANT TO HELP?
If you can’t attend but still want to help, please consider making a secure, tax-deductible donation by Clicking Here. Thanks to our partnership with ColoradoGives.org, they will absorb all credit card fees so Cottonwood Institute will receive 100% of your donation!
SPREAD THE WORD:
Tell everyone! Your co-workers, your friends, your family, even your dog!
UPDATE: THE 2012 CORNHOLE THROWDOWN WAS A HIT!
Thank you so much for everyone who participated in the 3rd annual Cornhole Throwdown and for those who made a generous donation to help support our programs. Last year, we were able to raise over $4,000 to help low-income students at Strive Preparatory Schools sleep under the stars for the first time in their lives this school year.
HOW THE THROWDOWN HAS GONE DOWN IN THE PAST:
To check out a slide show of the 2012 event, Click Here.
To check out a slide show of the 2011 event, Click Here.
To check out a slide show of the 2010 event, Click Here.